Sunday, August 11, 2013

TRAIL2TRAIL RACE

Wasn't sure if the race was going to happen because the weather has been terrible. While most people are thankful for rain, mountain bikers don't like torrential downpours everyday that turn the trails into muddy messes. During pre-ride yesterday morning, the trails were literally underwater. I was having second thoughts about racing because I didn't want to ruin my new components on my bike. My dad and I went out again last evening and the trails were looking better, so I decided to go for it. Luckily, we didn't get any rain yesterday or today and the trails we able to dry up some. The Trail2Trail Race is part mountain bike and part road race. It consists of one 7 mile lap on the trails, then a 30+ mile road ride, followed by the final 7 mile trail ride. It can be done as a team or solo. One of my good friends, James Dibble a recumbent cyclist, and I decided long ago that we would team up. Our team name: Team Tour de Friends. 

Alex Meucci and me heading into the woods for the first lap
At the start of the race I was beginning to get the jitters. My goal was to keep up with Shawn Smith (a pro rider), Jim MacPherson, and one of my teammates, Alex Meucci. When the whistle blew I shot out wanting to get in front of as many racers as possible. I went into the woods in 6th place and we (Shawn, Jim, Alex, and Stephen Karras) immediately started to open a gap. It was a quick pace and I was determined to hang on. We blew through the trails at lightening speed leaving dust in our wake. I felt really strong and my new tire combo (Schwalbe Racing Ralph and Specialized S-Works Renegade) was working very well. Coming through transition my team was battling for first place with Shawn and a racer from AJ's Bikes and Boards. I handed my baton to James Dibble and he took off setting a very fast pace for the road portion. 

Heading into transition after my first lap


Handing the baton to James Dibble

While James was on the road I took a break and much needed cool down. It was blistering hot with the temps in the high 90's. I took this time to strategize about how I would play out my second lap. I knew that it would be tough if Shawn and David Pavlik (a super fast roadie from AJ's) came in with James. The second lap Martin Cox would be racing as Shawn's teammate and I knew I had my work cut out for me. Shawn was now racing solo. When James came through transition I was ready. I went out roughly 30 seconds behind Martin and the AJ's racer and I was determined to stay on Shawn and Martin's wheel. I felt like I was closing the gap on Martin and the AJ's racer until Martin picked up the pace and put down the hammers. I still felt good in my position and continued to work with Shawn, hoping to catch the AJ's racer. I just couldn't close the gap. As I was going into The Beast, one of the more technical red trails at Carter Road Mountain Bike Trails, I made a huge mistake that cost me about 20 seconds. After attempting to hop the front root at the beginning of the trail I slipped and almost fell off the edge into a ravine. Thankfully, I managed to catch myself. As I hopped back on my bike to ride down one of the drops I fell again. In the end my last lap time was about 6 seconds slower than my first lap time - about 32:29. Team Tour de Friends placed 3rd in the Serious Men's Race, and  1 1/2 minutes behind Martin Cox. I was really proud of myself for being able to stay with these phenomenal racers for most of the race! 

Coming to the finish line
3rd Place finish...super happy with that!!!

Me and Shawn Smith and Martin Cox 

A great big thank you to Bents Cyclery and Fitness for all of their support! You guys are the best! My Spy Optics sunglasses came in handy keeping the bright Florida sun and the mud out of my eyes. Wore my favorite SockGuy socks which, as usual, provided lots of comfort, kept my feet cool, and gave me some awesome tan lines! Thanks to my coaches and all of those who support my racing endeavors! Congrats to all the Team Bents racers - you guys did awesome and had a strong showing on the podium! Congrats Steve Bent on your podium finish!! Way to go Alex Meucci on your 1st Place Solo All Mountain win!! Jamie Enright - you raced strong and congrats on your podium finish! Taylor Pilkington and Papi - big shout out for your 1st Place team win! Super excited for Jen Howard on her 3rd place victory in the Women's Solo. Congrats to Jim MacPherson on his 2nd Place podium in the Solo All Mountain class! Congrats to Shawn Smith and Martin Cox from the Super Cool Bike Shop on your 1st place finish! I could go on and on congratulating everyone and I don't want to leave anyone out, so a big congrats to everyone who earned a place on the podium and all those that finished the race!! And thanks to Red Trail Racing for putting on a great race and all the hard work they put in to get the trails in great shape!

Super congratulations to my brother, Morgan, and his teammate, Connor Murray. They raced Fun Men's race as Team Thing 1 and Thing 2 and placed 4th in their race! 

Morgan coming into transition after his 30 mile road ride






No comments:

Post a Comment