Monday, November 25, 2013

FSC #4 - LITHIA - ALAFIA STATE PARK



     Really excited to be racing one of my home courses, Alafia State Park. One of the best mountain bike courses in Florida because it gives you plenty of fast single track with a wide variety of climbs and wicked fast, steep drops. Pre-ride was great with my coach, dad, brother, and many of Team Bents racers. I was totally ready to bring my game on. 


     Sunday arrived and I was stoked! The weather wasn't the best, hot and muggy...typical Florida! I knew hydration would be key during this race. When the whistle blew I was 4th going into the woods, but managed to take a line that shot me into 3rd. The pace was moderate and I knew I had to hop in front and try to open a gap. When a flat part came in the trail I made my move and shot in front of everyone. I went pretty hard and started to open the gap before getting into the first technical portion on NorthCreek. The lap went by quickly and by the second lap I was by myself. It was pretty lonely out there and that makes it hard to stay motivated. So I dug deep and pushed myself harder to maintain my speed and position. 


     During the second lap I reached down to grab my bottle and came up empty. Darn bottle had fallen out somewhere on the trail...and it was hot out and I was thirsty. I made it through the lap without any hydration and my dad was a welcome sight when I came through scoring to start the third lap. That was the best tasting bottle ever! I pushed really hard this last lap and gave it all I had. Made it through scoring in record time with a 4 minute gap on the second place racer! So proud of my results at this race!

1st Place Samuel Connell, 2nd Place Michael Mace, 3rd Place Adam Cohen
     Thanks to Bents Cycling & Fitness for all they do to keep me race ready! Continued thanks to all my sponsors: SockGuy for the best socks out there! TwinSix for keeping me stylish! SpyOptics for protecting my eyes! Beljum Budder for keeping me comfortable! And last but not least, Cycleography for the awesome pics! Thanks everyone!!


To see more race pics go to:
www.cycleography.zenfolio.com

No comments:

Post a Comment