Tuesday, November 26, 2013

FSC #7 - LAKELAND



SHORT TRACK

     It's always exciting to race your home course! I live about 10 minutes away from Carter Road Park and ride this trail as much as I can. You can say that I know the lines like the back of my hand. I had heard from several people that the course was going to be run partly forward and partly backward. This was cool because after pre-riding I realized that it was way faster than running completely forward. So I was super stoked to get this race going!

     The trails had been really sandy lately, but thanks to a cold front on Saturday that packed down the trails they were running super fast. Pre-ride was uneventful and I was looking forward to the Short Track that afternoon. After pre-ride I went home to eat lunch and rest so that I was ready for this fast-paced race. When we arrived it was drizzling off and on which cooled things off nicely. I got my gear on, warmed up, and went to the start line. The entire White Wave was going to be let loose all at once...wasn't sure how that was going to work out. We would see. I made sure to get into the front row of the starting line....and so did everyone else. There were about 55 of us packed tightly together, all ready to take off. When Dave blew the whistle I shot off the line, but sadly didn't get a good start. There were way to many people crowded together and we constantly bumping elbows. I saw that some of the other Juniors got a better start and knew that somehow I had to catch them. I knew passing would be difficult in the single track - it was way too dangerous with the tight turns and so many roots. I knew that I would have to make my move once we got into the open area. And this is exactly what I did. 

     I caught the group at the end of the first lap and immediately hopped up front to lead the entire White Wave. We were told to ride for 10 minutes and when the leader came through finish and the whistle was blown we would have one lap left to go. One of my good buddies, Troy Davis, was on my wheel the entire short track. We started opening a small gap on the other racers and I continued to pull. 

When the whistle blew for the last lap I gave it all I had. But I couldn't shake Troy...that kid is fast! As we hit the flat section toward the finish Troy and I sprinted it out. 

Unfortunately, I took the turn into scoring a little too wide and gave Troy the opportunity to slide right past me for a 1st place win. I came in 2nd for the White Wave and 1st for my class. If I had to rethink this race, I guess would have let Troy do some of the pulling...didn't really think it through at the time. But couldn't be happier for one of my friends to come in 1st! 

Me, Troy Davis, his dad, and my brother Morgan

Race Day

     The next day I was so excited to hit the trails! I was a little tired from pulling during the Short Track, but I knew once I got spinning I would be okay. Right off the line I went into the woods in 3rd behind Adam Cohen and Tyler Mayer. My strategy was to ride their wheel until an open area in the trail and then attack. I followed through with my plan and opened up a small gap. Sadly, my legs didn't have it in me and I couldn't open the gap any more. I dropped back and decided I would just ride behind them until the last lap where I would give it all I had. We were cruising through the trails talking and joking with each other. As we came through scoring after the second lap I attacked as hard as I could 
and tried to maintain it. 

Thankfully, my legs were feeling better and I was able to keep up this fast pace. I had about a 2 minute gap on 2nd and 3rd as I came off the clay road to hit the paved sidewalk and sprint to scoring. And that's when all heck broke loose! I was hammering it down the sidewalk (which was the designated area) at 25 mph when a car turned right in front of me! I literally didn't know what hit me! The bike and I flew (still clipped in) over the hood of the car and landed about 5 ft away. I sat up a little dazed and confused and saw blood running down my leg. I got up, unaware of anything going on around me, and noticed my chain was off. I put my chain back on my bike and saw my parents running toward me. I looked at them and hopped back on my bike and took off toward scoring. With the good Lord as my co-pilot, I made it through scoring and still managed to win my race! Afterward, I went back to where my parents were and laid on the ground realizing what had happened. The paramedics checked me over, and even though I was sore on my right hip, right ribs, and right shoulder, I was okay. I want to thank all my biking friends and their families for their help and concern. Things could have turned out much worse for me. This race turned out to have a lot of carnage in it. My bike shop sponsor ended up in the ICU with multiple fractures and a collapsed lung and other racers endured lacerations and broken bones. But we all know that this is part of racing and we try to race smart and be safe. On behalf of all cyclists, road and mountain, please watch for us when you are driving. 
1st Place Sam, 2nd Place Adam Cohen, 3rd Place Tyler Mayer

     Giving the love to my sponsors: Bents Cycling & Fitness, Rolf Prima Wheel Systems, SockGuy, SPYoptics, TwinSix,Beljum Budder, Cycleography,and RXEquipped. You all rock. Special shout out to my teammates...Team Bents...for all their support and encouragement!!


     To view more race pics go to:
     www.cycleography.zenfolio.com

No comments:

Post a Comment