Tuesday, May 14, 2013

12 HOURS OF TSALI - BRYSON CITY, NORTH CAROLINA
TEAM TOPEAK/ERGON/HONEY STINGER

The team and Eddie O'Dea at the pre-ride
What a weekend! Drove from Lakeland, Florida to Bryson City, North Carolina to compete in the 12 Hours of Tsali. I was chosen to ride for Team Topeak/Ergon/Honey Stinger under the coaching of Eddie and Namrita O'Dea. We got together on Friday for a pre-ride and so everyone could meet each other. My team consisted of myself, Elliot Baring from Georgia, Carter Anderson from Georgia, and Kathrine Santos from Kentucy - all juniors. The O'Dea's provided us with Ergon grips, saddle, and gloves, and nutritional items from Honey Stinger. I couldn't wait to put my new Ergon GS2 grips on my bike because I knew they would be very helpful in the climbs. The weather was great and the pre-ride gave me a chance to get accustomed to the Tsali trails. I was nervous about the initial climb because I had heard that it was pretty intense, but fortunately it was not as bad as I had anticipated. The trails were still a little wet and muddy from rains earlier in the week, but it was still good and we all felt pretty strong. I was told this was a roadie ride and with all the climbs and long downhills I would have to agree. After some team strategizing we all headed back to our hotels and campsites to rest up for the next day's race. 

Waiting to start my first lap
Well, the forecast for the day of the race was 60% chance of rain and I was praying really hard that it would totally pass us by. We woke up to pretty clear skies and nice conditions. I was feeling very hopeful that my prayers were going to be answered. We got out to the race staging area early and it was getting busy. Eddie and Namrita were already there getting everything ready for us. They were going to be our pit crew. The team line up was: Eliott, me, Carter, and then Katerine. The race was a LaMans start up that initial climb and Elliot raced up that incline like it was nothing! While Eliot was out on the course the rest of the team was getting ready, resting, and having their bikes looked over by Eddie. When Elliot came thru the transition I was ready. I hit the first climb hard, but not too hard so I didn't burn myself out. After making it up that first climb (made easier by my GS2 grips!) I settled into my race pace and hammered it in the downhills. I feeling strong and pedaling hard to make pull out a 47 minute lap time for 11 miles. The transition with Carter went smoothly. Both Carter and Katherine made great times also. We were fighting for the second place spot at this point. My second lap was pretty uneventful.
My first lap - 11 miles - and I felt strong

Then the skies opened up on us. At about the halfway mark of the race the darkening skies let out some heavy rain. I didn't think it would ever end and I knew that my lap was coming up soon. The outside temperature had dropped and I was not looking forward to being cold and wet. Unfortunately, it was pouring rain as I made my way out on my third lap. I was freezing and I felt so much slower than my other laps. The mud seemed to be completely swallowing my tires and every pedal stroke I took made it seem like my back tire was spinning out. The climbs were even more ridiculous and due to the slick clay I was forced off my bike to push it up the most steep climbs.The rain and mud was in my face and it made it difficult to see the course. Toward the end of my lap the rain had pretty much stopped and I finished covered in mud. My time wasn't great, but I made it without any crashes/injuries...better to play it safe in those types of conditions. I was able to make to the warm shower in the campground and started to feel like I was thawing out when Elliot told me he did not want to do another lap. I was going to have to do the final lap and it had started to rain again. I was not looking forward to it now that I was nice and warm. But if that is what I needed to do, then I was in. The rain continued and as Katherine went out for her third lap Dave Berger announced that due to the rain and trail conditions the race would be cut by 1 1/2 hours. Racers out on the course would need to be back by 8:30. I have to admit, I was pretty happy that I didn't have to go back out on that cold, wet, muddy trail! Throughout the race we battled it out for second place with an expert men's team. Our final place: 3rd place Sport class!! I must say I was pretty darn proud of team and how strong we were. Our class had a total of 28 teams and we were the only junior team. I was the youngest person racing.

Just finished my third lap

Special thanks to Eddie and Namrita O'Dea for giving each of us the opportunity to represent Team Topeak/Ergon/Honey Stinger at the 12 Hours of Tsali. Knowing that they had faith in our abilities as individual riders and as a team gave each of us more confidence and made me want to show them exactly what I was made of. I feel very privileged to have been given the chance to ride with a team of excellent riders. Elliot and Carter both ride for CycleYouth, like I do, but they are from the Georgia team. It was great getting to know all the racers and Mr. Eddie and Mrs. Namrita. Thank you  Ergon for the grips, saddle, and gloves. Thank you Honey Stinger for the nutritional items - the waffles are my favorites! Shout out to 
55Nine Performance and Topeak for their support, also. I am so proud to have been a part of this unique experience! 

Me and Carter Anderson
Katherine Santos


Elliott Baring

Our team number - 111

Elliott starting the race

Elliott taking off on his second lap

Here I am running into transition

3rd Place Sport Class

Team Topeak/Ergon/Honey Stinger with Eddie and Namrita O'Dea








No comments:

Post a Comment