Saturday, May 4, 2013

The 12 Hours of Santos

The 12 hours of Santos in "The Vortex" was an awesome race. It was practically a party the entire, with music blaring from speakers and hundreds of people all around. The course was great, with some very technical trails and climbs, and then some pretty fast single track through the trees. It was very rocky, which made it different from other courses in Florida.

I had a great team. Me, Madison McDaniel, Connor Murray, and Marco Newman, a CycleYouth rider from Georgia. We switched off after every lap, and pulled some ridiculously fast times. I felt great during my laps, since each lap got faster into the race. The cold weather help me a lot, and I didn't even break a sweat. Once it was time for me to race my night laps, I was terrified. I had only done two other night rides before and I didn't know what to expect. As soon as I headed out, it felt like the temperature dropped 50 degrees! I was all alone in the dark and was hoping to come up on some faster night riders, but I didn't find anyone.
Loved the climbs!

My team finished 9th out of 19 in the co-ed division. I felt like we did very good given the fact that the 5th place finishers up to the 1st place finishers were pros. I had a great time riding with all of the Georgia CycleYouth riders and learning the new trails. I can't wait until my next 12 hour race!
Night hand off with Marco Newman - man was it cold out!


The hand off from Marco Newman
Oh yeah, lovin' this course!








No comments:

Post a Comment